DART made several changes to its service on Oct. 13, 2019. All changes for this major service change were cost-neutral. Because of this, DART had to eliminate, or shift, resources from underutilized services to better serve riders in other areas.
- DART realigned service on this route from a Flex Route into a Local Route.
- Local Route 72 travels much of the same route that the Flex Route did, but riders no longer have the option to “flex” service off the fixed route.
- DART made this decision after analyzing how riders were using Route 72. DART discovered that only 2 percent of riders actually used the “flex” service on the route.
- The change created a circulator route that operates every hour in both directions, with additional service added onto the route along Mills Civic Parkway.
- The change provides all-day service to key destinations from Valley Junction to other areas of West Des Moines, including Hy-Vee, Walmart and the West Des Moines Library.
DART changed Route 74 from a Flex Route to a Local Route, discontinuing the flex zone. Upon hearing from riders, and analyzing passenger boardings for this route, DART discovered the majority of riders were not using the flex option on this route and were boarding at stops located along the existing fixed route.
DART maintained the previous schedule and route, and added an extension to the Walmart in Windsor Heights via University Avenue to serve additional employers along that corridor.
DART combined some trips on this route that have ridership of five passengers or less. Under the new schedules the route has five afternoon trips, there were no changes to morning trips.
In addition to the schedule changes, DART updated the routing on reverse commutes (trips from downtown to Clive and Urbandale in the morning, and trips from Clive and Urbandale to downtown in the afternoon). The last three outbound (westbound) trips now travel back to downtown via the interstate servicing stops along 9th Street.
DART discontinued the Grimes/NW Johnston On Call and replaced it with an extension on Express Route 93 – NW 86th.
Previously, the On Call service transported riders from their homes and a Park & Ride lot at the Walmart in Grimes, to the end of Route 93 in Johnston. The service operated during peak commute hours in the mornings and evenings on weekdays.
Under the new service plan, DART extended Express Route 93 to the Park & Ride lot at the Grimes Walmart and addresses located along SE 11th Street west of Highway 141. This change allowed riders in Grimes to have an option to travel to downtown Des Moines, without needing to transfer in Johnston.
DART updated the Route 93 schedule to accommodate the extension, consolidate trips with low ridership, and start service earlier in the afternoon. See the above link for the updated Route 93 schedule.