May is Bike Month at DART - In the month of May, you can ride DART for free when you board with a bike! Learn more here.
Getting around Des Moines is easier than ever thanks to DART’s Bike & Ride program. With a bike rack on every Local, Express and On Call Route bus you can take your bike just about anywhere — work, special events, parks and even your favorite bike trail.
Just pedal to the nearest DART stop and DART will pick you up, along with your bike, at no extra charge. Using DART’s Bike & Ride racks is quick and easy. It usually takes less than 20 seconds to load your bike and board the bus.
How it Works
- As the bus pulls up, raise your hand to attract the attention of the operator. Before you step in front of the bus, make sure it is completely stopped and the operator sees you.
- If the rack is in the upright position, squeeze the release handle on the top and lower the rack.
- Lift your bike into the wheel slots. If there is already a bike on the rack, load yours in the opposite direction in the remaining slot.
- When your bike is loaded, lift the support arm up and over the front bike tire as close to the bike frame as possible.
- Board the bus and pay your fare.
- When approaching your stop, let the bus operator know you will be unloading your bike. Then exit through the front door.
- Lift the support arm from the bike’s front tire and take your bike out of the rack.
- If the rack is empty, please raise the rack up against the bus. Return to the curb and signal the operator that you and your bike are safely away from the bus.
Tips and Rules
- Riders are responsible for loading, securing and removing their bikes from the racks. For safety reasons, bus operators cannot leave the bus to assist bike rack users.
- DART’s bike racks will accommodate most single-rider, two wheel bikes including children’s, all-terrain bikes and electric assist bikes. Des Moines BCycle bikes do not fit on the bike racks. Tandems, recumbents, mopeds, and any motorized or combustible bikes, and tricycles cannot be mounted.
- Minimum tire size is 20 inches.
- Maximum tire size is 29 inches.
- Maximum tire width is 2 inches.
- Maximum wheelbase is 44 inches.
- Maximum weight per bicycle is 55 pounds.
- Children 10 and younger are not permitted to use DART’s bike racks unless accompanied by an adult.
- Bike racks are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Each rack can carry two bicycles.
- If the rack is full, please wait for the next bus.
- For safety reasons, always load and unload your bike from the curbside of the bus.
- To allow for faster boarding, please remove all loose items, including water bottles, computers and pumps from your bike before the bus arrives at the stop.
- Bikes are secured by the tires, not the frame, and two loaded bikes will not touch each other while on the rack. Personal locks, chains or other securement devices cannot be used.
- Bikes are not allowed inside buses unless they are collapsible and fold into to the size of a standard piece of luggage.
Lost & Found
Unclaimed bikes will be kept in DART’s Lost & Found and held for no more than 30 days. Please call Customer Service at 515-283-8100 if you leave your bike or other belongings behind. DART is not responsible for any theft or damage while a bike is mounted on a rack or at any DART facility.