What is Flex Connect?
Flex Connect is a new on-demand service DART is testing that connects riders in the Flex Connect zone to DART buses. Flex Connect replaced Flex Route 73 in Urbandale and Windsor Heights.
With Flex Connect, riders in the zone can book an Uber, YellowCabCo. or a DART accessible vehicle to take them to and from one of three transfer points: Gloria Dei Park & Ride, Buccaneer Arena Park & Ride or Merle Hay Mall. From there, riders can connect to DART buses via routes 5, 14, 16, 50, 92 or 93.
Flex Connect operates Monday – Friday, from 5:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
The best part? Flex Connect is FREE for the duration of the pilot program (October 14, 2019 through mid-October 2020)! Riders pay regular fare when they connect to a DART route.
Download the Flex Connect zone map here.
How Does Flex Connect Work?
Riders with smartphones can schedule an Uber trip in real-time within the Flex Connect zone to a transfer point by adding the DART Flex Connect voucher to their Uber payments.
Riders without smartphones, riders who need mobility assistance (ramp or lift), riders who wish to schedule in advance, or riders who prefer to schedule a taxi can call DART customer service to schedule their on-demand trip: 515-283-8100.
Using the Uber App:
- First time users need to add the DART Flex Connect voucher to their Uber account. Voucher link: http://t.uber.com/DARTFlexConnect.
- Sign into your existing Uber account or download the Uber app and create an account.
- You will be prompted to “accept voucher.”
- After accepting the voucher, enter a destination. If the trip is covered by the voucher, the discount will appear above the “confirm” button. Riders must be within the Flex Connect zone or at one of three transfer points at the time of booking. Please note: Flex Connect is only valid for UberX. If you select Comfort or UberXL, you will be charged for your trip.
- Returning users can book trips directly though the Uber app once they have downloaded the DART Flex Connect voucher or book online here (log-in required).
Calling Customer Service – Real-Time Booking:
- Call 515-283-8100 to book your real-time on-demand trip.
- Request a Flex Connect trip and give customer service your name, phone number, current location and your destination when prompted.
- Let Customer Service know whether you would like to book a trip through Uber, a taxi, or if needed, a DART accessible vehicle.
- If you are booked through Uber, you will receive a confirmation text with a link allowing you to track your on-demand ride without using the Uber app.
- If you are booked on a taxi or DART accessible vehicle, customer service will confirm your trip prior to disconnecting.
Calling Customer Service – Advanced Booking:
- Call 515-283-8100 to book your on-demand trip. Riders can book a Flex Connect trip up to 7 days in advance.
- Request a Flex Connect trip and give customer service your name, phone number, pickup and drop off locations when prompted.
- Customer service will confirm your trip details prior to disconnecting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find a list of frequently asked questions here.
Tips for using Flex Connect
- Be ready. Flex Connect vehicles are only able to wait a minute or two.
- Pick-up and drop-off locations at DART transfer points are near DART’s bus stops. If you are being picked up, please make sure you are near the stop and visible to approaching vehicles.
- Plan enough time to connect to your DART bus.
- Additional Uber safety tips can be found here.
- Questions about Flex Connect? Please call DART customer service at 515-283-8100.
Uber Terms and Conditions
Limited Availability. No cash value. To redeem discount, Uber Voucher code [link coming soon] must be applied to Payment section of the Uber app prior to requesting the first ride to or from the Flex Connect zone. Uber Voucher valid October14, 2019, at 5:30 a.m. through October 14, 2020, at 6:30 p.m. Uber Voucher does not apply to tips. Offer is non-transferable, subject to change or cancellation. Issues involving redemption and/or use of the Uber Voucher code should be directed to Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART) at 515-283-8100.
Flex Connect Partners