DART Paratransit's Bus Plus service provides transportation for people who have a disability that prevents them from using fixed-route bus service. All Paratransit service is door-to-door and wheelchair accessible.
Bus Plus is DART’s ADA door-to-door complementary service for riders with a disability that keeps them from being able to use Fixed Route services. Riders must apply to use the service. Once approved, riders may travel within the Bus Plus zone (see map below) for any reason and must pay a $3.50 fare for each ride they take.
To start the eligibility process, fill out a DART Bus Service Eligibility Form. This form is available through the links below and must be submitted to DART's Paratransit Department, which will review the application and mail back the results within 21 days.
- DART Bus Service Eligibility Form (English)
- DART Bus Service Eligibility Form (Spanish)
- DART Bus Service Eligibility Form (Arabic)
- DART Bus Service Eligibility Form (Vietnamese)
DART paratransit operates service with comparable hours to DART’s fixed route bus service.
Other contracted services
DART partners with Polk County, MCOs, and other organizations and agencies to provide contracted trips for which the agency approves the person’s trip.
Polk County Service Details: The partnership with Polk County allows low-income disabled citizens 18 and older to apply for service for trips to medical appointments, the grocery store, and a once-a-month miscellaneous trip. Income eligible dialysis patients who have no transportation may also apply. To check on eligibility and/or apply for this service, call Polk County (515) 286-3484. If approved, the customer rides DART Paratransit at no charge. The funding agency may restrict the rider to certain types of transportation, such as medical appointments, work or grocery shopping. Polk County Adult Services does not fund employment or school transportation.
Request for service can be made by calling DART Paratransit at 515-283-8136 Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. Reservations for Sunday and Monday travel can be made on Saturday and Sunday between 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM by calling 515-283-8147 and leaving a voicemail message with the client name, contact number, and trip details. DART staff will return the passenger's call to schedule a trip. Reservations will be accepted up to seven (7) days prior to the trip date. Passengers can schedule a trip up to 5:00 PM on weekdays and 4:00PM on weekends the day before the trip date.
The following information must be ready when calling Paratransit to make a reservation:
- The addresses where the trip will start and where it will end.
- The requested pick up time or needed arrival time.
- Any special instructions such as assistance needed, or if a personal care attendant (PCA) will be traveling on the trip.
Driver assistance is available. The following rules apply to this assistance:
- Assistance will be provided from the door of the house or building to the bus and back.
- The Bus Plus driver will not be able to help passengers with non-transportation requests such as helping put on a coat or locking a door.
- Driver assistance with a mobility device on steps is not guaranteed and will be limited to a maximum of two steps. This service is based on the size of the passenger, the height of the step and the driver’s ability.
- Assistance is to the first door only.
- Please limit packages or bags to what you can carry on board in one boarding trip and you can keep in control while the bus is in motion. Bags or packages should not block the aisle. You may request the driver’s assistance loading and unloading packages or bags. Packages or bags should weigh no more than 15 pounds.
- When a family member or other individual is available, they will be expected to provide assistance rather than the driver.
Traveling Companion and Personal Care Attendant (PCA)
A companion may ride with a customer if there is space available on the vehicle. Companions must pay the same fare as the eligible Bus Plus customer. If a customer cannot travel alone due to a disability, a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) may ride with the customer. The customer must be approved for service prior to taking the trip. The attendant will not be charged a fare.
Paratransit/Bus Plus Policies
Drivers have to keep a schedule, therefore, they will wait a maximum of five (5) minutes after the scheduled pick-up time. Customers must be ready and watching at their scheduled pick-up time, or they may miss the bus. A second vehicle will not be sent.
When customers cancel, or do not show up when they have scheduled a trip, service to others is impacted. A trip is considered a “canceled trip” when a customer calls prior to 4 p.m. the day before the trip, or at least one hour before the scheduled pick-up time. A trip is considered a “no show” when a customer fails to take a trip or calls less than one hour prior to the scheduled pick-up time. Repeated “no shows” may result in a penalty.
During the winter, service will operate any time the fixed route bus service operates. However, because the Paratransit/Bus Plus service operates on side streets that may not be cleared, staff may need to notify customers if a bus is unable to get to them. Drivers will assist customers when the walks are cleared of snow and ice. It is a customer’s responsibility to have walks cleared.
Some customers may be able to use the Local Route bus service if they were provided transportation to a bus stop. In these cases, the Paratransit/Bus Plus service will pick the customers up at their curb and take them to a bus stop, where they will need to transfer to the Local Route bus service to complete their trip.
- Paratransit/Bus Plus Policies - English
- Paratransit/Bus Plus Policies - Spanish
- Paratransit/Bus Plus Policies - Arabic
- Paratransit/Bus Plus Policies - Vietnamese
Visitors with disabilities who cannot use the regular fixed-route system are eligible to utilize DART complementary paratransit service. The visitor may be asked to provide to DART certain documentation to verify eligibility, nature of their disability, and/or residence. If the visitor has been certified as “ADA paratransit eligible” by a public transit provider, DART paratransit will honor the approval and will provide up to twenty one (21) days of visitor ADA complementary paratransit service during a 365 day period. If visitors have not been certified as eligible by another public entity but claim they are ADA paratransit eligible, they will be allowed “presumptive eligibility” and shall be provided with up to 21 consecutive days of paratransit service.
DART follows all requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), including amendments to clarify existing rules under 49 CFR Part 27 and 37 implemented on July 13, 2015. Per the new guidelines, DART has established the following policy and procedures for considering reasonable modifications to DART policies and practices.
To review the full policy, click here.
To request a reasonable modification, either:
- Complete and submit the online form below or
- Click here to view or download the PDF. This form may be submitted via email after completing the fields in the electronic PDF form.