DART will have new fareboxes installed on 30 of its buses, beginning Monday, June 18. This will cause some changes for riders, should they board a bus with a new farebox on it. While DART is testing these fareboxes between Monday, June 18 and Saturday, June 30, riders will notice the changes described below. These changes will remain in effect until all fareboxes are replaced in August 2018 unless otherwise noted.
Riders will be able to buy a day pass for $4 from DART Customer Service at DART Central Station, and on buses with the new fareboxes beginning Monday, June 18. Day passes will not be sold on buses with old fareboxes. Riders who buy a day pass from either Customer Service, or from a bus with a new farebox should:
- Buses with new fareboxes: scan the bar code (day passes from Customer Service) or the QR code (buses bought on the bus) on the farebox scanner. To scan, hold the pass below the scanner with the QR or bar code facing up.
- Buses with old fareboxes: show the pass to your driver, who will verify it is a valid pass.
MyDART App tickets:
Riders who purchase tickets through the MyDART app should update their app in the Google Play or Apple stores on their device. The updated version of the app will include QR codes onto the tickets in the app. To ride using the app:
- On buses with new fareboxes: click on the small QR code on the ticket, which will expand the code. Then, hold your phone with the screen facing up under the scanner on the new farebox to scan the QR code on your phone.
- On buses with old fareboxes: show your ticket to your driver when you board as normal.
Swipe monthly, weekly and half-fare passes:
Riders with a monthly or weekly swipe bus pass should do the following between June 18 and June 30:
- On buses with new fareboxes: Your swipe pass will not work on the new fareboxes. During testing, please show your driver your pass as you board the bus.
- On buses with old fareboxes: Your swipe pass will work as normal on these fareboxes. Please swipe on the farebox.
Beginning July 1, riders with swipe passes will do the following:
- On buses with new fareboxes: Your swipe pass will work as normal on these fareboxes. Please swipe on the space on the top of the farebox.
- On buses with old fareboxes: Your swipe pass will not work on the new fareboxes. Please show your driver your pass as you board the bus.
Cash fares and tokens:
There will be no change to cash fares or tokens. DART will accept both on old and new fareboxes.
DART will distribute and accept transfers throughout our testing period. Please note that paper transfers will be discontinued once all of the new fareboxes are installed in August 2018.
DART will continue to offer reduced fare options for the same categories we do now, and will sell half-fare day passes to those who qualify. To learn more about DART’s reduced fare options, please visit this page.
Questions about the farebox changes?