Beginning Sunday, February 4, 2018, DART is making changes to the following routes. Riders can click on the route numbers below to be directed to details about each route for the service change.
Routes undergoing changes include:
- Local Route 1 – Fairgrounds
- Local Route 4 – E 14th Street
- Local Route 5 – Franklin Avenue/Johnston
- Local Route 17 – E University/Altoona
Local Route 1 – Fairgrounds: Route will return to Grand Avenue between 2nd St. and E 6th St. in downtown Des Moines to travel over the Grand Avenue Bridge.
Local Route 4 – E 14th Street: Route returning to Grand Avenue between 2nd St. and E 6th St. in downtown Des Moines to travel over the Grand Avenue Bridge. In addition, trips to the Polk County Jail will extend to travel north to Dee Zee Manufacturing on NE 58th Ave and NE 16th St. Trips will travel NB on NE 22nd St., WB on NE 58th Ave and NE 16th St. The existing Polk Co. Jail trip times will be adjusted as follows:
- Morning peak trip leaving NE 58th Ave at 7:40 a.m. added. Trip arrives at DART Central Station (DCS) at 8:20 a.m.
- Midday and night trips added going to/from businesses near NE 58th Ave. Trips leave DCS at 12:15 and 10:20 p.m. Return trips leave Dee Zee for DCS at 1:10 and 11:10 p.m.
- Trips leaving DCS at 6:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. will serve Polk Co. Jail and businesses near NE 58th Ave and will no longer travel to Park Fair Mall. Trips will continue to serve E 14th St. from downtown to Euclid.
- Trips leaving DCS for Polk Co. Jail at 8 a.m., 9:05 a.m. and 3 p.m. will be discontinued. Trips leaving Polk Co. Jail at 8:30 and 9:40 a.m. for DCS also discontinued. All trips replaced by trips described above.
- Trips leaving Polk Co. Jail at 3:30 and 4:45 p.m. will be shifted to leave NE 58th Ave 10 minutes earlier and 30 minutes later (respectively). Trips will arrive at DCS at 3:50 and 5:50 p.m.
Local Route 5 – Franklin Avenue: Several route changes and time adjustments will be made to Route 5, including:
- Buses will stop traveling on Morningside Drive in Johnston. Northbound/outbound trips will travel to the Johnston Public Library via Merle Hay Mall (NB), NW 70th Ave (WB), and Northglenn Drive (SB/EB).
- The bus stop located at Morningside Drive and Mark Twain Court (ID #4046) will be removed.
- Two trips will be added to the afternoon commute leaving DCS at 4:10 and 5:50 p.m. Two inbound trips leaving the Johnston Public Library will be added at 5 and 6:35 p.m.
- The trip leaving DCS at 7:45 p.m. will be discontinued. The current 7:05 p.m. trip at DCS will be shifted to 7:20 p.m.
- Time adjustments will be made to all trips.
- Southbound/inbound trips will no longer pull into the Johnston City Hall parking lot and the stop will be moved. Park & Ride passengers going to Des Moines will now board the bus on Merle Hay Road at NW 62nd Ave.
- Route 5 will continue to pull into Haymarket Mall for all trips.
Local Route 17 – E University/Altoona: Altoona trip times will be adjusted on weekdays and weekends. Weekend service trips that meet up with other routes at DCS will continue to arrive for transfer options. Route 17 trips departing DCS on weekends will be adjusted to leave at the same time as other routes.
You can view PDF’s of the schedule brochures for each of the impacted routes by clicking on the route names above. Printed schedules will be available at DART Central Station and on DART buses after Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018.
DART Riders with any questions or concerns regarding the upcoming service change are encouraged to contact DART Customer Service by calling 515-283-8100 or emailing email@example.com.