- Adults 65 and older
- Persons with disabilities
Cost to Ride
Riders can use the Half Fare card to pay with cash on the bus, pay in the MyDART app or to buy bus passes at DART Central Station or pass sales outlets. Be ready to show your Half Fare card to the driver or the Customer Service member.
Local, Express, Flex and On Call
(Does not include Paratransit service)
|Tokens (1 token = 1 ride)||10/$7.50|
How to Apply
- Go to the Customer Service window at DART Central Station, 620 Cherry Street, Des Moines, IA 50309. Bring the required documents (next section) for your program.
- Ask for a Half Fare application and fill it out with your information.
- A Customer Service member will review the application. This usually takes 1-2 minuts unless more documentation is required.
- If approved, your photo will be taken and you will be given a Half Fare card with your name and photo.
- Use this Half Fare card to pay with cash on the bus or to buy a bus pass. Ask Customer Service to add Half Fare to your MyDART account if you are using the MyDART app to pay.
When you go to DART Central Station to apply for a Half Fare card, please bring the required documents for the program to which you are applying.
- Bring a photo ID with your date of birth (example: driver's license).
Peron with Disabilities
(Bring one of the following)
- Proof of Social Security disability payments from the federal government, such as a copy of the award letter that states payments are being recieved due to disability.
- Medicare card
- Service-connected Veterans card
- DART's Health Care Provider Certification form completed by your physician. (NOTE: To save yourself another trip to DART Central Station, please have this form filled out before submitting your Half Fare application.)
(A representative from your refugee-service agency must be present when you fill out your application and bring the following documents.)
- I-94 form and;
- Photo ID or green card
- Bring a current school year ID from a middle school or high school, public or private, within Polk County. Parents may purchase passes for their children and the students do not need to be present; however, the parent must have student's school ID.
Half Fare Guidelines
- The Half Fare ID card is not transferable and can only be used by the card holder.
- Improper use of the Half Fare ID card will result in the loss of card privileges.
- The Half Fare ID cards may be used to purchase only one weekly pass per week or one monthly bus pass per month.
- If a Half Fare card is lost or needs to be replaced, DART Customer Service can create a new card for $5.
For more information about the Half Fare Programs, call 515-283-8100 or visit DART Central Station at 620 Cherry Street, Des Moines.
- Go to the Customer Service windows at DART Central Station, 620 Cherry Street, Des Moines, IA 50309. Bring proof of your household income (Example: pay stubs or social security checks).
- Ask for an OTT application and fill it out with your information.
- A customer service member will review the application and verify all information. This takes approximately 7-14 days.
- A letter will be mailed to your home address stating if the application was approved or denied.
- If the application is approved, return to DART Central Station to buy your OTT bus pass each month. OTT passes may be purchased with cash, debit card, credit card or business/organization check. No personal checks will be accepted. OTT bus passes cannot be purchased at any pass sales outlets.
- DART is not responsible for lost or stolen OTT passes. OTT riders can receive one free replacement, once per year, from DART Customer Service.
- Only one pass may be purchased each month.
- If you move, please contact DART at 515-283-8100 to update your information. You may be cancelled if we cannot reach you.
- If you do not purchase a pass within three months you will automatically be cancelled and need to reapply.
- Failure to abide with guidelines will result in immediate and permanent termination from the program.
- Participants are eligible for a maximum of three years in the OTT program.
- OTT does not include special events, such as the Iowa State Fair.
Work and School Programs
Employer and School Programs
Many employers and schools offer free or reduced bus passes for employees or students. Ask your employer or your school if you ride free or at a reduced rate.
- City of Des Moines
- Davis Brown Law Firm
- Dee Zee Manufacturing
- Des Moines Bicycle Collective
- Des Moines Public Schools
- Des Moines MPO
- Greater Des Moines Partnership
- Polk County
- Principal Financial
- Ruan Transportation
- Unity Point
- Voya Financial
- Drake University
- Des Moines University
- Grand View University
Des Moines Public School Students
Students may be eligible to ride free to and from school. Please contact your school offices to find out if you are eligible. A "Ride DART Free" sticker will be required on your school ID, if eligible. After 4 p.m. on weekdays, on weekends and during breaks: all Des Moines Public middle school and high school students ride DART free with current school year ID. No sticker needed. Includes all DART services (with exception of trips costing $3.50), all hours, all days, until school resumes.
Polk County Students
Students of any school in Polk County are eligible for the Reduced Fare Program. More information can be found in the top section of this page: "Half Fare Programs".
For more information about the Reduced Fare Program for Work and School, call 515-283-8100 or visit DART Central Station at 620 Cherry Street, Des Moines.