DART’s current Fare policy was approved by the DART Board of Commissioners in 2014 as DART was looking to implement a new fare collection system using smart cards. Given the changes in technology since this time, DART has decided to implement mobile ticketing rather than smart cards, and the fare policy needs to be updated to reflect that.
Attend a public meeting
DART will host two public meetings to share details on the fare policy changes. These meetings will be held:
- Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at noon in the Multimodal Room of DART Central Station.
- Monday, August 28, 2017 at 6 p.m. at the Polk County Northside Community Center.
Free language, visual, hearing services are available at meetings upon request. Transportation services are also available. For requests, please call DART Customer Service at 515-283-8100 with as much advanced notice as possible.
Fare policy Changes
The implementation of mobile ticketing in fall 2017 will result in the following changes to DART fares:
- $4 day pass will be available through the mobile ticketing app in fall 2017 valid on all Local and Express service.
- Rolling period passes, including a 7-day pass and 31-day pass good from the time they are activated.
The implementation of new fareboxes in summer 2018 will result in the following changes to DART fares:
- $4 day pass available for purchase on the bus or from DART Customer Service.
- Paper transfers will no longer be provided.
DART conducted a Title VI analysis to ensure that these change to the fare policy would not harm riders based on their race, ethnicity or national origin. The analysis also ensured the change would not place a burden on low-income riders.
DART informed the Board of Commissioners of the changes in July 2017. Staff will present the changes to the public and collect feedback in August 2017. The DART Board of Commissioners will vote on whether or not to approve the changes at their September meeting.
DART is very interested in receiving feedback from its riders regarding these changes to the fare policy. Riders are encouraged to attend one of the two public meetings being held in late August.
Riders who are unable to attend a meeting but who would still like to provide feedback are asked to contact to DART Customer Service by calling 515-283-8100 or by emailing DART@ridedart.com.